Now that I spend my days chasing an adorable 11 month old boy around the house, easy meals are more of a must now than ever. However, easy doesn't have to mean bland or unhealthy. This meal can be made in a large Dutch oven or in your slow cooker. I choose the slow cooker to prevent heating up the house during a hot summer day while allowing me to "set it and forget it." The meat is so flavorful and tender that it just falls off the bone and melts in your mouth. Even my young son enjoyed the tender bites.
3 pounds Beef Short Ribs
1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 large Yellow Onion
2 cloves Garlic, peeled and smashed
1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 cup Dry Red Wine
11/2 - 2 cups Water
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed pan over Medium-High heat. Once the oil is hot, place the short ribs in the pan. You will need to sear in batches to prevent steaming of the meat. Sear for 1-2 minutes per side. You are looking for a nice brown crust. Remove from the pan and repeat until all the ribs have been seared. Once all ribs are seared, place remaining seasoned flour into the drippings and cook for 1 minute.
|Image of slow cooker before cooking.|
4. Place the browned short ribs on the bed of onions. Pour the browned flour slurry into the slow cooker.
5. Top the short ribs with carrots that have been sliced into 3 inch segments.
6. Sprinkle the slow cooker contents with dried thyme. Tuck the garlic and bay leaf into the cooker so as to ensure they are in the cooking liquid.
7. Pour the red wine into the cooker followed by just enough water to come to the bottom of the ribs.
8. Cook the meat on HIGH for 4 hours.
9. Serve with mashed potatoes, steamed rice, or some warm crusty bread.
Post a Comment