Saturday morning breakfasts call for a warm, hearty meal. I love to slow down a little and make a delicious baked good for a weekend treat. While I have tons of muffin recipes I use, I decided to, once again, branch out and create something new. These muffins are dense, tender, slightly sweet and refreshing. The combination of fresh berries with the hint of orange is perfection. Happy weekend!
6 Tablespoons Butter/Margarine, Softened
3/4 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs, Room Temperature
2 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 pinch Salt
1/2 teaspoon Dried Orange Peel
3/4 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Orange Juice
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1 pint Blueberries
1 Tablespoon Flour
Yield: 6 Large Muffins, 12 Regular Muffins, or 24 Mini-Muffins
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and dried orange peel. Stir to combine. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, on at a time, and whip until fluffy.
3. Combine the milk, orange juice and vanilla.
4. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk mixture to the butter. With the mixer on low, begin with the flour and end with the flour mixture, stirring well between each addition.
5. Sprinkle the blueberries with 1 Tablespoon of flour. Toss to coat. Sprinkle the blueberries into the batter. Use a large spoon to combine.
6. Spray the muffin tin with non-stick spray. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, for large muffins, in a 350 degree oven or until golden brown.